Fwd: OSGeo accepted to GSoC 2015 - overview of slot assignments
---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Margherita Di Leo<[hidden email]> Date: Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 10:41 AM Subject: OSGeo accepted to GSoC 2015 - overview of slot assignments To: OSGeo Discussions <[hidden email]>, OSGeo-SoC <[hidden email]>
it is our pleasure to announce that OSGeo has been accepted as mentoring organization also this year! 
The OSGeo GSoC Team has been reshaped with respect to former communications, and it's now composed by myself (Madi) in the role of primary admin and the experienced Anne Ghisla in the role of co-admin.
Now it's time for prospecting students to carefully browse the list of ideas and contact developers team of their interest. Mentor registration is not yet open and will be announced in due time. Students can officially apply on Melange from 16th to 27th of March.
All, do keep an eye (and a calendar client reminder) on all GSoC 2015 dates !
This year, we will be using slightly different procedure for assigning slots to selected projects. The experience from previous years made it possible to define the criteria that will be applied this year, and hopefully will be improved in the future:
1. Each project requires at least two mentors. The soundness of the project, the selection of reliable mentors and student is responsibility of its community. However, this year we strongly encourage the community to assign to the wannabe-GSoC-student some small programming tasks or bug fixes, in order to be sure that (s)he is familiar with the selected software, the programming environment, version control system, mailing list, etc and can code. Particular attention should be paid in the selection of mentors that won't disappear in the course of the GSoC.
2. Each OSGeo software will have one slot assigned, provided that the conditions at point 1 are met.
3. Like previous years, OSGeo will host some like-minded projects that requested it, and will assign 1 slot to each guest, provided that the conditions at point 1 are met.
4. This year we want to encourage projects that entail the integration between two or more OSGeo software. For this reason, one extra slot will be assigned to (sound) projects that aim at integrating two or more software, provided that mentors of respective communities are involved.
5. If the number of slots will allow it, extra slots can be assigned to projects that have gained a good rate of success in the course of past years (reliable -not disappearing- mentors, student success, etc).
Further discussion on specific slot assignments will take place among mentors in due time. This is the admins outline of this year's criteria.
Please send answers to this announcement to soc  list, and forward this mail to all relevant mailing lists of your knowledge.